Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Blessings in Times of Trouble


If you take a look at my last post, you'll find it's been a while. I've been dealing with health issues that have made it difficult to keep up with my daily activities, including posting to my blog. This issue hasn't gone away, but I am starting to feel much better.

While dealing with this problem was very trying and somewhat scary, I can see many blessings that came from it. What good could possibly come from an illness you ask? Plenty with the right attitude. Let me share with you. I know have:


  • An awareness and appreciation of how truly good I feel when I am not sick.

  • A thankfulness that I do not have diseases and other health ailments worse than mine.

  • A bigger sense of empathy for those who do have bigger problems than mine.

  • A closer relationship with my husband.

  • A closer relationship with family, friends, and co-workers.

  • A sense to live and enjoy everyday to it's fullest when I feel good. If I want a brownie, I am having it!

  • The ability to reach out for help and not be ashamed of it.

  • A desire to inspire others to live happier, more appreciative lives with this blog, Blessings from Above.

  • More time spent with and learning about God and the Bible.

  • An ability to leave the laundry behind to go out for a walk in the sun and the ability to leave the dirty dishes in the sink to sit on my new comfy family room furniture to read a good book while the birds tweet outside the French class doors.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have this positive attitude toward things perfected. I still get a bit discouraged and anxious when it comes to my health, but I am really trying not to let it rule me. It's a challenge everyday, but it's worth the effort.


I think it's when we deal with some of the lowest of lows in life that we really wake up and realize all we have. Sometimes that's what it takes, unfortunately. Life gets hectic and often our focus becomes our daily to-do list, rather than the more important things in life. It's when we've been removed from the daily grind, with the focus on a crisis, that we realize we're missing out on the big picture. I think God using a crises to open our eyes before it's to late. We have to make sure we're paying attention to that and getting the message. I am glad I did.


If you are dealing with health problems or any other life issue or crises, this applies to you too. Try to look around and realize all the positives in your life and truly try to be appreciative for them. Make a list if you have to. Sometimes visual reminders are helpful and there is nothing wrong with writing things down and tacking it to your bulletin board if you need to. Whatever it takes to live a happier life (within reason of course! This is not an endorsement to do something immoral or illegal!)


Praying good health for you!
Wishing you "Blessings from Above,"
Denise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise,

I'm sorry for your health issues. I love that you are searching for goodness.