Pages

Friday, December 28, 2007

Jury Duty

I got called for jury duty and was NOT happy about it - not because I mind doing my civic duty, but because I have to take the train into one of America's most criminal-ridden cities. It's almost like taking your life into your hands. I think I grumbled about it from the moment I received the notice in the mail all the way up until I got to the courthouse. It's just not a pleasant thing in our county. You either have to fight the morning rush on the highway to get there, running the risk of getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, or take the train which is well over an hour production to get there. In a perfect world it would only take about 10-15 minutes. I just didn't want to go.

When I got on the train the morning I was summoned to appear, I asked if the train was an express train, concerned if it would stop at my stop or whiz on by. As a passenger responded that it was an express train, me and another woman jumped off. "I don't want to miss my stop," I told her. "I have to go to jury duty." "So do I," was her response. We became friends from that moment on and only left each others side to go to the ladies room. We talked about everything from our husbands, to her kids, to jobs, and things she wants to do in life but doesn't think she can. I tried to encourage her that life is short and to do what she wants. I was thrilled that God gave me her company for the 6 hours we were together. Neither of us ever did get called to the court room and we even got dismissed early and took the train home together. God surely joined us together for the day - it was no coincidence!

Wishing you "Blessings from Above"
Denise

No comments: