Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Plentiful delicacies

The other day I dropped my precious sugar bowl on the floor splattering sugar all over the place. I was heart broken because it matched my dishware. I also felt a twinge a guilt because centuries ago, sugar was considered a precious and rare item - only the rich had it - and here I was sweeping it off the floor and throwing it in the trash.

The same goes for food. Food is so precious to the hungry, yet so many of us, myself included, take it for granted. We have so much of it we don't know what to do with it all. That's particularly common during Christmas when we stuff ourselves at holiday parties and then wrap up the huge of amount of leftovers and divvy it up to take it home. And often it's the good stuff - crab meat, shrimp, sweet fruits, gourmet candies. Next time this happens, take a moment to reflect on how fortunate we are. There are people in other parts of the world that would just be grateful for anything to eat, let alone have all these delicacies in such enormous amounts.

Wishing you "Blessings from Above"
Denise

No comments: