Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Keepin' Perky from Packin'

My blog, Blessing from Above, is meant to be a cheerful, up beat blog that you can come to to be inspired. Unfortunately, life throws us some dilemmas along the way and keeping up that perky attitude can be tough. People can be cruel - life can be unfair. I know that for a fact. Ever felt that way?

Recently, I've had my toes stepped on enough to send "perky" packing and on it's way for good. I've had it happen at church with the Secret Sister program that I mentioned not all that long ago. I really enjoy coordinating the program and have been very blessed by it. I know many other women who feel the same. Inevitably though, there are always a few people whose expectations are just not quite being met. That can make things hard on everyone else. One person in particular really sadden me with their view of the program. The bottom line was she just wasn't feeling as remembered as she'd like to be and as a result, may leave the program. As the coordinator, that really got me down. I began to feel like a failure, like it was all my fault. Out of frustration, I even thought about discontinuing the program.

Then I realized, that no one can make me feel this way but me. I have to watch my attitude and actions in life and make sure that I am making the decisions that God wants me me to rather than giving in to human needs. Should I discontinue the program, women in the church will not receive much needed words of kindness from others, friendships will not be formed as easily, an overwhelmed mother much in need of a day out won't get to go to the Secret Sister luncheon for a day of peace. I need to remind myself of these things when I get down about the program.

It's very easy when things go wrong to throw our hands up in their air and give up. I've done it many times in life and I am working on improving myself so that won't happen any more. Here are a few steps that I plan on taking to help me move toward self improvement:

Pray - Abraham Lincoln said, ""I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go." It's so true. When all else fails (and before it fails!) give it to God and pray about it. If he is in it, our steps will be guided and we'll be acting on his behalf. I will pray about the Secret Sister program to make sure that God still wants me to offer the program and to make sure it's being run properly.

Put a lid on defensiveness - It's always my nature to get defensive when someone finds fault with me or something I am doing. This has creeped into my life time and time again, and it doesn't even matter if it's my fault. I may have no control over something, but I get upset as if something took place as a direct result of my actions. From here on out, I am going to work to assess the situation for myself and keep my defenses down, particularly if there is nothing in my power to change the situation.

Do it Anyway - Mother Teresa wrote a poem entitled "Do It Anyway," which talks about being a loving person even though the world can be rough. She wants us to love, forgive, succeed, be kind, and so on, anyway. When I get down, I plan on continuing to chip away at whatever my goal is try not to let people's opinions get me down. I am going to "Do it Anyway."

Can you relate to this in anyway? Do you feel down when people seem to be picking you apart? Keep your chin and remember to keep going. Humans do not have control over us so don't let anyone hinder you from doing what you want to do. God will bless you for it!

Wishing you "Blessings from Above,"
Denise

No comments: