Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Lost skills found


I always get upset over my paternal grandmother moving and then passing away so early on in my life. She was an Italian woman with a lot of talents. She could cook a delicious meal for an army in a half-an-hour or less and I still have all the blankets she crocheted and the Christening gown she made for me 33 years ago. Not only do I miss her, but I feel like I could have learned so many of these wonderful things from her in my adult years.

Three years ago this March I took on a new job at a local University. I thought the only benefit was going to be earning cash to pay the bills. It turned out to be much more than that. I make money, friends, and learn new things to help me in my job and my personal life.

Three of my co-workers and I have become good friends. We've spent many evenings in the Sahm Craft studio eating, drinking wine, and learning new things. They've taught me all kinds of things from creating beautiful stained glass pieces, to scrap booking techniques, and crocheting. Not only do I bond and make memories with them, I am able to learn the things that my grandmother was never able to teach me and turn around and use it for good. Right now I am crocheting a blanket to keep the animals warm at the animal shelter and I hope to teach others my new skill when I get a little better at it.

Wishing you "Blessings from Above,"
Denise

No comments: